The GRE General Exam (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardised exam that is an admission requirement — for a Masters Degree or Ph.D. in any field — for most graduate schools abroad. You can take the GRE exam any time during the whole year by selecting a slot for the exam 45 days in advance. This exam is offered and supervised by ETS (Educational Testing Service) and is designed to measure your aptitude in verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing.
So, what is the GRE exam? The GRE exam is a computer-adaptive exam supervised at various prometric testing centres located all over India. Most of the top graduate schools require a GRE score as one of the selection criteria for admission to their masters programs. Moreover, the GRE exam pattern and syllabus remain consistent, and do not change from year to year. The GRE exam aims to determine the extent to which undergraduate education has enhanced your aptitude in abstract thinking.
GRE Exam Duration, Fee, and Reattempts:
- The total duration of the GRE exam is 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- The GRE exam fee for registering is USD 205.
- The GRE is a computer-adaptive exam which is conducted all year round, subject to seat availability. Additionally, it can be taken multiple times in a year with a minimum gap of 21 days between consecutive attempts. In a year, a candidate can attempt the GRE a maximum of 5 times.
Eligibility Criteria For GRE Examination:
GRE exam eligibility does not have any specific criteria. Almost all the top MS colleges around the world accept GRE scores for admission. The prospective graduates like you who are interested in pursuing MS, master’s and specialized master’s in business or research and doctoral degree, have to take this GRE General Test. A great part about this test is that it allows applicants from various backgrounds and cultures to take the test and provides a common platform to test and compare every candidate’s qualification.
How to Use Your GRE Score:
- Your GRE score is valid for 5 years. For example, scores for the test that is taken on the 5th of June 2016, will be valid until 25th May 2021.
- You can select up to four graduate schools to send your scores. If you wish to apply to more schools, you may do so at an extra $27 cost per school.
- Graduate schools will consider your best GRE score among all the attempts. So if you didn’t score well in the first attempt, you always have a backup option of retaking the exam and sending fresh scores. The ScoreSelect option offered by ETS enables you to take the test more confidently and send the scores that you feel are your personal best. This option is available for both the GRE General Test and GRE Subject Tests.
- A good GRE score can compensate for an average or below-average academic record in your undergrad.
- You can apply to technical, techno-managerial, managerial, Ph.D., Languages, Social Studies and several other types of masters through this exam.
- Aim for a GRE score of 320+ to be eligible for applying to almost all colleges abroad.
- Your GRE score can also be used to apply for an MBA.
Pattern OF GRE Exam:
The GRE Exam has three sections, as illustrated in the table below:
|Analytic Writing||2 sssays – 30 minutes each||The two types of essays are an issue essay and an argumentative essay. 2 or 3 readers will evaluate them. There are no wrong answers for this section.
The Analytical Writing section tests if you can articulate complex ideas clearly and assertively.
|Verbal Reasoning||2 Sections with 20 questions each, 30 minutes for each section||Includes reading comprehension passages, and questions on sentence completion and equivalence. The questions can have either single or multiple answers whereas the text completion questions will have upto three blanks.
Measures your ability to evaluate and analyze the given written material. Analyze relationships among the sentences and among words and concepts.
|Quantitative Reasoning||2 Sections with 20 questions each, 35 minutes for each section||Each quantitative section consists of roughly 8 quantitative comparison questions, 9 problem solving questions, and also 3 data interpretation questions.
Your problem solving skills will be measured here. Concepts like algebra, geometry, basic arithmetic, and data analysis are tested in this section.
|Unscored Section||Purely experimental section introduced by ETS to try out the possibility of adding new sections to the test. This doesn’t count toward the test scores. The section will either contain quantitative or verbal sections.|
GRE Subject Test:
GRE also offers tests for specific subjects. The GRE Subject Tests are taken to test the knowledge in specified areas of subjects including Biology, Chemistry, Literature in English, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology. Total testing time for a Subject Test is 2 hours and 50 minutes.
We hope the above information helped you gain some basic information on the GRE exam, the sections of the exams and how they are scored. Good luck with the exam and your higher education journey.