The ISB is one of the most well renowned universities in India. Hence, getting an admission into this prestigious university is naturally a bit difficult because of the high competition. In this article, we help you decipher how to do well in the ISB Exam — or as we more commonly call it, the GMAT/GRE exam — and gain admission into this highly sought after business school.
First and foremost, you will need to do some research on ISB’s class profile. This will give you insights about the number of students applying to ISB, how many students get admission each year and the academic background of the students applying. You also get to know about the work experience and GMAT/GRE score requirements. A thorough research will ensure that your ISB admission process is smoother and easier.
How to Prepare for the GMAT/GRE Exam or ISB Exam
- The first step is to prepare a good study plan depending on the time you have left for the exam. We would recommend 6 months as an ideal preparation time before the GMAT/GRE exam.
- Next, you will have to invest in good quality study materials. Lately online learning has been gaining a lot of popularity among students as it is a good option to prepare for the exams from the comfort of one’s home. With online learning you have a lot of added benefits like – access to good study materials, personalised sessions from the trainer, flexibility of schedule, recorded sessions in case you miss a class, a study plan suited to your strengths and weaknesses and more.
- Your preparation plan should also include time for solving sample question papers and attempting mock exams periodically. These will assist you in learning more about the structure of the GMAT/GRE exam in addition to learning how to manage your time.
- It is essential that you prepare consistently and dedicatedly for your exams. Whether you are a student or a professional, set up a time that you are most comfortable with and stick to it.
The GMAT and GRE scores play a crucial role in your ISB application process. The average GMAT score for ISB class is 709. It is necessary to score 20 points more than the average for the score to be considered a good one. On the other hand, the GRE score range for admission is between 303 – 335 and the average GRE score expected of potential candidates is 325.
However, it is important to remember that besides your GMAT score/GREscore, other factors also determine your admissions into ISB. This includes your SOP, your resume, LOR and essay. Each year the ISB team has essay topics which they would want the prospective students to submit as part of the admissions process. You can look for previous year topics to get an idea about what is usually asked.
Now, let’s look at the courses offered by ISB.
Courses Offered by ISB
- PGPpro for working professionals
- PGPMAX – Post graduate programme for senior professionals (work experience of about 10 -25 years)
- PGP MFAB – Post graduate programme in Management for Family Business
- Advanced Management programme in Business Analytics
- Advanced Management programme for Infrastructure
- Advanced Management programme for Healthcare
- Advanced Management programme in Operations and Supply chain
- Advanced Management programme in Public Policy
The ISB PGP course is one of the most popular courses at ISB and is opted by most applicants. The programme requires a valid GRE/GMAT score and minimum of 24 months of full time work experience. It also requires you to have completed your bachelor’s degree. The ISB PGP fees for admissions is INR 2,95,000. The total tuition fee is around INR 28,79,000.
Connect with ISB Students if You Want to Know About ISB or the ISB Exam
To get to know more about ISB, you can speak and network with students from ISB. You can get this information from their website where they have an option “ Connect with an ISB PGP Brand Ambassador”. Alternatively, you can also check LinkedIn for such connections. This will help you to understand their perspectives and you will learn more about their journey of having gone through the same process. They will be able to provide you with information about the admissions process, the admission committee’s expectations and the course structure, etc.
How to Get Admission into ISB?
Now that you have a general idea about the courses offered at ISB, you must next start preparing for the actual ISB admission process. So, how to get admission in ISB? Well, there are certain elements that the admissions committee looks for in candidates applying to their university. Following is a brief gist of the same:
- Leadership qualities – Just like any top B-school, ISB also looks to develop future leaders for the Business world. They should be able to see potential in you to believe if you are the right candidate. Your resume should showcase your achievements to help them understand your leadership qualities which you may have exhibited in your professional life or in extracurricular activities. Your letters of recommendation could also be helpful in this process.
- Personal traits – It is important for the admissions committee to understand who you are as an individual. What are your core values, what you expect to do in the future and your general perspectives about the world. This is to help them understand how unique you are and what you will bring to their campus.
- Academic credentials – As always the grades and marks you obtained in your senior year at school, your undergraduate studies, postgraduate studies (if any) along with your GMAT score will decide whether you can gain admissions into ISB.
Another very important and final step in your admission process is the interview. A few strategies to help you do well in your interview are as follows :
- You should be well prepared for questions on projects that you have undertaken in your previous job. Some egs are: what are the important milestones you achieved, how did you resolve conflicts at your workplace, etc.
- Keep your answers short and concise, the interviewers will appreciate the same.
- Listen to the question being asked carefully and then proceed to answer, don’t be intimidated by the interviewer’s presence.
- Lastly, research on ISB’s milestones and history, their campus, alumni, clubs, etc.
We hope this article has given you a better understanding of the admissions process at ISB, the courses offered, how to prepare for the ISB exam or the GRE/GMAT exam and how to crack the interview. Keep all these points in mind and we are sure you will make it into ISB.
- What entrance exam should be taken for ISB?
Candidates who wish to apply to ISB must have written either the GRE or GMAT exam. The applicants are shortlisted based on their performance and then called for an interview. The final selection happens post the interview and the selected candidates will be admitted to ISB.
- What is the GMAT score cutoff required for ISB?
Admissions into ISB is highly competitive since it is one of the top ranked universities in the country. Therefore, the cutoff scores are higher for applicants who wish to get into ISB. A GMAT score of 710 and above is considered a desirable score if you wish to study here.
- Does ISB accept CAT scores for admissions?
Since ISB is one of the premier institutes of the country it doesn’t accept CAT scores for the admissions process. The scores which are accepted for admissions are GRE and GMAT for its flagship programs like the PGP, EEO, etc.
All the Best!