The Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) has a long history, as it was founded over a century ago in 1896. Currently, it is recognised as one of the top 100 universities across the globe. Over the course of its glorious 125 years, SJTU has cultivated some of the best minds; including Tsien Hsue-Shen (the Chinese “Father of Space Science”), Jiang Zemin (former president of China), Wang Zhenyi (winner of the Kettering Prize for cancer research), and many more distinguished personalities. The university boasts a fancy alumni list and has also transformed the scientific research and innovation scene in China. It has been ranked #50 in the QS World University Rankings 2022, and 10th in Asia.
Faculty and Courses
According to information on the official website, the faculty at SJTU includes 3,307 full-time teachers who are constantly engaged in bringing out the best of students’ talents, and helping them excel in all their endeavours.
The university comprises 33 schools and departments, two affiliated medical research institutes, 23 directly affiliated units, and five directly affiliated enterprises. It offers more than 60 undergraduate programs and over 100 graduate programs. Besides the degree programs, it also offers many non-degree study options such as exchange programs, summer school, research internships, and language programs.
Fees and Scholarships
Pursuing a degree from SJTU is considered more affordable than several other international universities. In addition to the affordable tuition fees, SJTU also provides many scholarship options to students with an excellent track record, or those who cannot support their education.
The estimated fees for various degrees are listed below.
|Bachelor’s||INR 3 L to INR 10 L|
|Master’s||INR 3 L to INR 19.6 L|
|Doctoral||INR 5.5 L|
Careers and Placements
SJTU finds a place among the top 50 schools worldwide for its graduate employability rate. It ranks #41 in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022. The university’s reputation among the employers and many employer partnerships are the factors responsible for this ranking. Therefore, graduates from SJTU are wanted by top employers across industries. According to Emolument, SJTU graduates earn around $68,000 annually.
It is considered extremely tough to secure a spot at SJTU. Due to its outstanding reputation, applicants from all over the world seek admission at this university. The acceptance rate is around 32% for international students. Some of the entry requirements are listed below.
- Standardised Test Scores: International applicants must submit the test scores of standardised exams such as GRE, GMAT, SAT, or ACT, depending on the programme they are applying to. It is required because domestic students usually undergo an entrance test for admission; therefore, standardised exams make it easy for the university to comprehend an international applicant’s skills to an extent.
- Notarized Transcripts: Applicants must submit a scanned copy of the notarized academic transcripts from their previous institute of study.
- English Language Requirements: While the primary teaching language for domestic students is Mandarin, international students are taught in the English language. Therefore, applicants must demonstrate their English proficiency by submitting test scores of exams like IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
- Personal Statement: A personal statement written by the applicant reflecting their motivation to undertake the selected course, university, and future plans has to be submitted with the application.
- References: The names of two academic references are required to obtain recommendation letters electronically.
SJTU is a university of global stature and provides the perfect environment for young talents to lead innovation in their field of study. We wish all prospective applicants all the very best for the application process.