The Southern Methodist University (Southern Methodist or SMU) was established in 1911 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, to promote higher education and free inquiry through a secular curriculum. Today, this research university is a powerhouse of opportunities where over 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students forge their career paths in a rigorous academic environment. The campus is spread over 234 acres across two towns/cities: Highland Park and University Park. SMU also has a satellite campus in Taos County, New Mexico.
Let us learn more about SMU in this article.
Courses and Faculty
SMU is counted among the best universities in the nation. It stood 66th on US News & World Report 2021’s list of Best Colleges. Southern Methodist University is organised into eight schools. They are:
- Cox School of Business
- Dedman College of Humanities and Science
- Dedman School of Law
- Lyle School of Engineering
- Meadows School of the Arts
- Moody School of Graduate and Advanced Studies
- Perkins School of Theology
- Simmons School of Education & Human Development
Students can choose from over 100 courses offered by SMU. In addition to this expansive list, SMU also offers doctoral degrees through 32 programmes. Students also enjoy:
- An excellent student-faculty ratio: The student-to-faculty ratio at SMU is 11:1. Thus, students receive personalised attention from some of the best professors in the country due to small class sizes.
- A thriving campus community: From NCAA Division I athletics to over 200 student organisations to a plethora of arts and cultural offerings, there is something for everyone at SMU. Also, owing to its location in Dallas-Texas, a lively city, you will never be bored outside the classroom.
- Strong historical traditions: As one of America’s oldest universities, SMU has many long-running campus traditions. There is always something exciting to experience: From the world-renowned Mustang Marching Band, founded in 1917, to unique school spirit events like Big Game Weekends.
Fees and Scholarships
When it comes to affordability, Southern Methodist University is hard to beat. The Office of Financial Aid at SMU awards more than $30 million in scholarships annually. If you are unable to bear the cost of attendance at SMU, there are several financial aid opportunities such as academic and athletic awards and special-interest grants. Irrespective of your background or interests, you can avail a scholarship at this institution. However, that is not all that SMU has to offer. The university also offers a variety of grants and fee waivers that can reduce your overall cost of attendance.
In the table below, the estimated tuition fees for various courses are provided.
|Course / School||Tuition Fees|
|M.S. in Computer Science||$1,704 per credit hour|
|M.S. in Management||$1,303 per credit hour|
|M.S. in Finance||$1,394 per credit hour|
|Law, J.D.||$1,980 per credit hour|
|Executive Masters||$1,450 per credit hour|
|Undergraduate courses||$1,564 per credit hour|
Careers and Placements
Employers frequently visit SMU to recruit new talent. The Career Center hosts dozens of employer information sessions each year and hundreds of on-campus interviews. In addition to this, the centre has also partnered with thousands of employers who post jobs or internships online through Handshake – SMU’s exclusive job portal. The Career Centre also provides a variety of resources such as:
- Career planning tools such as an online job database and career assessments
- On-campus interviewing facilities
- Resources for resume writing and interviewing techniques
- A library of job search books and articles
SMU is a selective university, and admission requirements are competitive. In order to be admitted to SMU, students must submit an application, official transcripts from all high schools and colleges attended, SAT/ACT or GRE/GMAT scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal essay. The admissions committee scrutinises each aspect of the application in order to determine if the student has the potential to keep up with the curriculum at SMU.
The Admissions Committee considers each applicant’s academic record, extracurricular involvement, leadership experience, community service involvement, essay responses, letters of recommendation (including teacher recommendations), and standardized test scores when making its decision. In general, the committee looks for students who not only possess a good record in academics but also in extracurricular activities outside the classroom such as athletics or arts. Therefore, applicants must ensure to incorporate all such details in their personal statements and resume. Students who meet admission requirements will receive an offer of admission via email along with instructions on how to accept enrollment at SMU.
Thus, if you plan to pursue your studies at a university with an impeccable reputation, excellent academic opportunities, and a vibrant campus, then look no further than SMU!