There’s an abundance of GRE preparation material available online. However, it’s essential to choose these study materials from the right sources such as the ETS website itself or from online coaching platforms such as CareerLabs. On credible platforms such as these, you would find a detailed syllabus of the GRE exam — General and Subject test — a well-structured study plan, tips and strategies to solve the various sections of the exams, practice tests, mock exams and more. What’s even better is that you would find some free online GRE preparation study material to help you get started.
Through the course of this article, we will list down some GRE materials that you can refer to as well as tell you what are some of the things you should keep in mind when selecting your preparation material. So, keep reading!
What Should You Keep in Mind When Selecting Your Study Material?
- The study material should be updated and contain the latest content. It needs to be comprehensive with complete information.
- If you are a candidate who is yet to begin your preparation, then you will need to check if the GRE preparation material contains a good explanation of theories, sufficient practice questions, and full-length mock exams.
- The study material you choose should have a sufficient number of mock exams or practice tests. Taking these tests will develop your problem-solving skills, verbal skills, vocabulary knowledge and logical thinking capabilities.
- The GRE material must also contain ample practice tests which will help you estimate how well you are prepared for the exam and what scoring range you are at while attempting the mock exams. This also allows you to understand your strengths and weaknesses in the GRE exam.
- The GRE preparation material must cover topics from all sections of the GRE exam. For example in the Verbal section, there should be study aids that assist you in building your vocabulary and enhancing your reading skills. In the Quantitative section, the material must include all the theories from the syllabus, problem-solving techniques, etc. For the Analytical Writing section, you should have practice test papers for both the Issue and Argument essay topics.
To make your search easier, below we have listed some GRE study materials for both the GRE General Test and the GRE Subject Test.
For the GRE General Test:
- The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test by ETS, 2nd Edition
- ETS Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions
- Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions
- Barron’s 6 GRE Practice Test
- GRE verbal books: Barron’s Verbal Workbook
- Quantitative GRE books: Total GMAT Math (Jeff Sackmann)
- GRE Analytical Writing books: The Critical Reasoning Bible (Powerscore)
- For the GRE Subject Test:
ETS provides practice test books for each subject.
- a) GRE Biochemistry Books
- Cell Biology: Molecular Biology of the Cell by Bruce Albert
- Biochemistry: Biochemistry by Judith G. Voet
- Molecular Biology: Molecular Biology of the Gene by Watson
- Genetics: Introduction to Genetic Analysis by Anthony J.F.Griffiths
- b) GRE Mathematics Books
- Subject Test
- GRE Mathematics (GRE Test Preparation) by REA
- c) GRE English Literature Books:
- Norton Anthology of English Literature Volume 1 & Volume 2 c
- Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms & Literary Theory
- GRE: Practicing to Take the Literature in English Test â€“ ETS
- Cracking the GRE Literature
- d) GRE Chemistry Books:
- 107 Stories about Chemistry- D. N. Trifonov, L. G. Vlasov
- Silhouettes of Chemistry “ D. N. Trifonov, L. G. Vlasov (Mir Publishers)
- Tales About Metals S. Venetsky (Mir Publishers)
- How 17 Molecules Changed History, written by Le Couteur and Burreson
- 67 All New Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life, written by Schwarcz Napoleon’s Buttons
- On Rare And Scattered Metals S. Venetsky (Mir Publishers)
- The Disappearing Spoon, and Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and History from the World of the Periodic Table, written by Kean
1. e) GRE Biology Books:
- Campbell Biology (#1 Best Seller in Amazon for Biology)
- Biology, 7th Edition (Book & CD-ROM) [Must Have]
- Study Cards for GRE Biology
2. f) GRE Psychology Books:
- GRE Practicing to Take the Psychology Test
- GRE Psychology w/ CD-ROM (REA) “ The Best Test Prep for the GRE
- Step-By-Step Plan for Gaining Admission to Graduate School in Psychology
- Barrons How to Prepare for the GRE in Psychology
- Graduate Study in Psychology 2010
- The Psychology Majoras Handbook
3. g) GRE Physics Books
- Physics Fundamentals
- Fundamentals of Physics
- 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics
- University Physics
- Physics for Scientists & Engineers With Modern Physics
- University of Chicago Graduate Problems in Physics with Solutions
- GRE Physics Test: REA: Serious Prep for the GRE
- The Best Test Prep for the GRE (Test Preps)
These are some GRE preparation material for you to refer to and study from. Then of course there are platforms such as CareerLabs, as mentioned above, wherein you learn from expert faculty members and gain access to vast GRE study materials.
Good luck, prepare well! We hope you succeed with flying colours!