Graduate Record Examination or GRE 2022 is a challenging international level entrance test. It is a registered trademark of ETS (Educational Testing Service) which is headquartered at Princeton, New Jersey, United States. This exam is taken up every year by aspirants who wish to pursue a specialized Masters course or Doctoral degree at well-known B-Schools in North America (USA and Canada), UK, Europe, Singapore, AUS and NZ region. This entrance exam mainly assesses applicants analytical writing skills, verbal ability, and quantitative reasoning skills.
Through the course of this article, we will acquaint you with the GRE 2022 exam. So keep reading!
The GRE Test Pattern
The GRE comprises two types of tests — the GRE subject test (subjects include Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Psychology, and English Literature) and the GRE general test (Analytical Writing Assessment, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning).
The GRE general test is both computer-based and paper-based and both versions are different. Also paper-based tests are not available for everyone, it is provided in places where the computer-based test is not available. The GRE subject test is available only in the paper-based format. The test is available at over 1000 test centres across 160 countries across the globe.
GRE 2022 Eligibility Criteria:
It is interesting to note that there is no basic eligibility that GRE applicants have to meet regarding age or qualification before they submit the GRE 2022 application form. All they need to possess is a valid passport as proof of identity to be admitted into the examination centre. Besides, candidates must meet the admission criteria of respective grad schools without fail while submitting the applications. Although the eligibility criteria for GRE 2022 is pretty flexible, grads schools lookout for applicants who wish to pursue their post-graduation or Doctoral degree. They also lookout for candidates who have a few years of work experience and have an undergraduate degree in place.
GRE 2022 Registration:
Applying for the GRE is very simple. An applicant needs to create a My GRE Account on the official website to start their GRE 2022 registration process. Any test-taker can also access their scores in their accounts upon registration. Ideally, there are three modes to register for GRE 2022:
- Online Registration
- Registration over Phone
- Registration over Mail
Steps for GRE 2022 Registration:
- Applicants need to create a My GRE Account on the official GRE website.
- While creating their profile, they need to fill in their credentials like Name, Date of Birth, Address, Phone Number, Communication Preferences, etc. Applicants can log in to the ETS portal with their respective Username and Password.
- Applicants have the option to select GRE test type: (i) GRE General Test (ii) GRE Subject Test.
- Location preference and exam date can be chosen from the list of available GRE 2022 dates.
- Finally, the GRE 2022 exam fee of US $205 can be paid by the applicants through Credit Cards, Debit Cards, etc.
GRE 2022 Exam Fee Structure:
As per the GRE official website, the GRE registration fee is about $205. The GRE fees in India is about Rs. 15,256 (approximately) subject to change based on the foreign exchange rates at the time of registration.
|GRE Product or Service||Fees|
|GRE Exam Fees||US$205|
|GRE Rescheduling Fee||US$50|
|Request to change test centre||US$50|
|GRE Cancellation Fee (at least 4 days before the test date & 10 days for individuals in Mainland China)||50% of the Registration Fee is refunded|
|Additional GRE Score Report||US$27 each|
|GRE Score Reinstatement Fee||US$50|
|GRE Fee Waiver||50% of Registration Fee (For candidates facing financial hardship)|
GRE 2022 Dates:
GRE applicants need to closely monitor the availability of the GRE exam dates. They have the flexibility to choose the GRE 2022 dates as per their convenience from the available list. Based on the dates available, applicants can plan their respective study plans and submit applications to the various grad schools before the deadline.
Candidates can refer to the below schedule for GRE 2022 dates availability and register online for the scheduled test date:
|GRE 2022 Registration||Open during the whole year|
|GRE 2022 Dates of Examination||No official exam dates. Candidates have the flexibility to choose the exam date during the registration|
|GRE Result Declaration||10-15 days after the test date|
GRE 2022 Syllabus:
Candidates who intend to take the GRE 2022 exam must prepare a personalized study plan as per their requirements and design it as per the latest GRE 2022 syllabus as soon as possible.
The GRE 2022 syllabus is divided into three broad sections:
- Analytical Writing Assessment: This section evaluates the test taker’s ability to critically scrutinize complex issues, analyse arguments and put forth their thoughts reasonably.
- Verbal Reasoning: This section evaluates the examinee’s ability to read and analyse the written material in the standard English language. There are three types of questions under this section:
(1) Sentence Equivalence
(2) Reading Comprehension
(3) Text Completion
- Quantitative Reasoning: This section evaluates the examinee’s knowledge of mathematical concepts like Algebra, Geometry, Arithmetic, Data Analysis, etc.
You can download the GRE 2022 syllabus in PDF format from various credible sources online such as CareerLabs.
GRE 2022 Pattern:
- GRE General Test
The GRE General Test is 3 hours 45 minutes long. You can check the table below for your reference:
|Name of the Section||Time Limit||Number of questions|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||30 minutes per task||One Analyse an Issue and Analyse an Argument task each|
|Verbal Reasoning (2 Sections)||30 minutes per section||20 questions per section|
|Quantitative Reasoning (2 Sections)||35 minutes per section||20 questions per section|
|Research||Might vary||Might vary|
|Unscored||Might vary||Might vary|
The Unscored and the Research section are the two variable sections and are not part of the actual GRE 2022 score.
- GRE 2022 Subject Test
The total duration of the GRE Subject Test is 2 hours and 50 minutes. It includes subjects that applicants might have studied during their undergraduate degree such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, English Literature, and Psychology.
However, Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology tests were discontinued in December 2016 and the GRE Computer Science test was discarded in April 2013.
Best GRE Books 2022:
There are a lot of books that you can use to prepare for the GRE exam. However, only the best and reliable can yield good results. To begin with, here are some points to choose the best GRE books available.
- Before buying a book, check for the quality of content. Skim through the information in the book and determine if it has all the important concepts related to GRE.
- Check whether the book has sufficient practice questions from all the areas of the GRE exam. If yes, make sure the questions are modelled on the actual GRE test with the same difficulty level.
- Go through the answer explanations given in the book, and examine if it is detailed and easy to understand.
- Buy the latest edition of the book.
Here are some best GRE books that align with the aforementioned conditions.
- The Official GRE Guide Super Power Pack – This is a pack of General, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning guides. This set of books is one of the most reliable and useful preparation resources for GRE. The official guide comprises all the information regarding the GRE, including practice tests, sample questions, tips to answer the questions, etc. You can buy this book from the ETS GRE official website.
5 LB. Book of GRE Practice Problems – The book includes more than 1800 questions to help you get the exam-level practice. Detailed explanations are provided for all these questions and you will find questions from all the sections of GRE in this book.
GRE 2022 Admit Card:
GRE applicants who have successfully registered for the test will receive their admit cards over email after a few days of registration. The GRE Admit Card usually contains details about the exam date, choice of GRE test, test centre and the applicant’s name, date of birth, enrolment number, etc. In case there are any discrepancies in the document, it should be informed as soon as possible so that necessary corrections can be made without any further delay.
GRE Score Validity:
The GRE score is valid for 5 years. The highest score/grade that a candidate can achieve is 340. We have updated the scoring pattern for GRE in the table below for your reference. There are three sections in the scores which are reported in the GRE General Test:
|GRE Sections||GRE Score Range|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||On a scale of 0-6 in half-point increment|
|Quantitative Reasoning||On a scale of 130-170 in 1 point increment|
|Verbal Ability||On a scale of 130-170 in 1 point increment|
GRE Result 2022:
GRE candidates can access their non-official score instantly once they’ve completed the exam, which they can either accept or reject. If a candidate accepts the result, then the score recipients or the universities that the test-taker has selected can view their results. The official scores of the candidates are made available to them on their ETS accounts and sent to the respective score recipients around 10-15 days, approximately, after the exam date.
If you are planning to pursue an MS or Doctoral degree from an international university and are wondering how and where to begin? We are here to help you through. At CareerLabs, we guide you in every step of your GRE preparation and ensure you get the scores you aim at achieving.