If you’re looking for the best colleges for Masters in Computer Science in Europe then you have landed on the right page! In this article, we will discuss why Europe is an excellent destination for studying and also will list down some of the best countries and colleges for you to choose from. Also remember, to get into these top colleges a good GRE score is essential, hence, if you want to make it into these universities in Europe, ensure you prepare well for your GRE exam. If you do so, there’s no stopping you from making it into the university of your choice.
Now let’s see which are some of the best universities for Masters in Computer Science in Europe for you to apply to.
Why Choose the Best Colleges in Europe for MS in Computer Science?
When you think of Europe, you think of narrow lanes, streets with beautiful cafés and elegant restaurants and several companies that engineer world-class products. From manufacturing high-tech industrial equipment to something as small as a mechanical watch, Europe is well known for its engineering and design. Besides all of this, Europe is also a popular destination for higher education. Given its top-notch education system that is dedicated to high research output, it comes as no surprise that the QS World University Rankings 2020 had a total of 381 European universities featured on its rankings.
Moreover, it is also an ideal destination for better job opportunities and a sophisticated lifestyle that most people around the globe desire. The European Union and Britain are major trading partners with most countries around the globe. Large volumes of trade mean excellent job opportunities within the EU block and Britain. However, since the list is quite extensive, we’ve shortened the top destinations within the region and listed the best universities for Ms in Computer Science in Europe by placing them within their respective country. So, without further delay let’s check them out country-by-country.
The United Kingdom is home to four of the top 10 universities and eight of the top 10 European universities. Coming in second after the United States, the UK is a preferred choice amongst students when looking for the best colleges for MS in computer science in Europe. Since English is the first language it makes the UK easily the most sought-after destination in the region. The list of top universities in the UK are as follows:
- The University of Oxford – ranked 4th globally and 1st in Europe
- The University of Cambridge – ranked 7th globally and 3rd in Europe
- University College London – ranked 8th globally and 4th in Europe
- Imperial College London – ranked 9th globally and 5th in Europe
- The University of Edinburgh – ranked 20th globally and 7th in Europe
Popularly known for crafting the best chocolates and engineering elegant watches, the country has also gained fame for engineering and tech. Its industries have relied on its tech and scientific knowledge to become a major producer of sophisticated products with excellent design. However, does Switzerland have the best colleges for MS in computer science? The answer is Yes! Switzerland is the only country other than the US or UK to have one of its universities feature in the top 10 global rankings. The top-ranking Swiss universities are as follows:
- ETH Zurich- Swiss Federal Institute Technology – ranked 6th globally and 2nd in Europe
- EPFL – École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne – ranked 18th globally and 6th in Europe
- University of Zurich – ranked 76th globally and 22nd in Europe
- University of Geneva – ranked 110th globally and 38th in Europe
- University of Bern – ranked 123rd globally and 46th in Europe
Whether it’s advanced medical equipment or an automobile, this country sure knows how to innovate and produce the best technological commodities that we use in our day-to-day lives. While it has a reputation of being a world leader in universities and research institutes, it is also home to major engineering, IT and manufacturing industries. As a matter of fact, Germany is ranked 9th amongst 131 economies that are featured on the Global Innovation Index 2020. Naturally, a country with such dedication to tech and innovation can only do so with a strong set of academic institutions that are a backbone to producing high levels of research in the field of computer science and other technology. The list of best colleges for MS in computer science in Germany is as follows:
- Technische Universität München – ranked 55th globally and 14th in Europe
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München – ranked 63rd globally and 17th in Europe
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg – ranked 66th globally and 19th in Europe
- Humboldt-Universität Zu Berlin – ranked jointly 120th globally and jointly 44th in Europe
- Kit, Karlsruher Institut Für Technologie – ranked 124th globally and 47th in Europe
Ranked as the 3rd largest economy in Europe when compared by GDP at constant prices, France is also home to some of the best universities in the region. Most of its top-10 universities are located in Paris and perform well on international rankings. Here are a few universities with impressive rankings globally and in Europe.
- Paris Sciences et Lettres Research University (PSL) – ranked 53rd globally and 13th in Europe
- Ecolé Polytechnique – ranked jointly 60th globally and 15th in Europe
- Sorbonne University – ranked 77th globally and 23rd in Europe
- Centrale Supélec – ranked 139th globally and 55th in Europe
- Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon – ranked jointly 160th globally and 66th in Europe
Italy is situated in the southernmost region of Europe. So, if you’re looking for a country with a favourable climate, great cuisine and good education, then this is your ideal destination to pursue an MS in computer science.
- Politecnico di Milano – ranked 149th globally and 61st in Europe
- Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna Pisa – ranked jointly 177th globally and jointly 75th in Europe
- University of Bologna (UNIBO) – ranked jointly 177th globally and jointly 75th in Europe
- Sapienza University of Rome – ranked 203rd globally, 89th in Europe
- Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa – ranked 204th globally and 90th in Europe
The above mentioned are some of the best colleges for Masters in computer science in Europe. These have been selected based on the country’s economic performance and the level of research output in the field of technology by their respective universities. However, the list does not end here. Do check universities of the Nordic region, Belgium, Ireland, Austria, Spain and Russia as well. Hope we could help to narrow down some of your options.