Are you aware of the top six MBA entrance exams? Well, the six MBA exams are — GMAT, GRE, CAT, XAT, NMAC and SNAP. The GMAT and GRE are globally recognized exams, while the others, CAT, XAT, NMAC and SNAP are recognized only in India. Let us take a look at each of these entrance exams in detail below.
Top Six MBA Entrance Exams
- GMAT: The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is a computer adaptive exam, conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) worldwide, throughout the year.
It consists of four sections namely — Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA), Integrated Reasoning (IR), Quantitative Reasoning (QR), and Verbal Reasoning (VR). The scores of the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning contribute to the total GMAT score. The total GMAT score ranges from 200 to 800, which increases by ten-point intervals. Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA), Integrated Reasoning (IR) sections are scored separately. Besides, the registration process for the exam can be done through the official website, mba.com and the fee for the exam is $250. The GMAT score validity is for five years.
- GRE: The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is a computer-based standardised exam that is globally accepted by most universities abroad. It is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The GRE applies to all subject areas, so if you are keen on applying for engineering, social science or management courses, you can take the GRE.
The exam consists of three sections — Verbal Reasoning (VR), Quantitative Reasoning (QR), and Analytical Writing (AW). The total GRE score is an aggregate of the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning scores. The total GRE score ranges from 260 to 340. Besides, the ETS also offers the GRE subject test for physics, chemistry, psychology and maths. The score range for the subject exams is between 200 to 900. You can register for both the exams on the ETS official website and pay an exam fee of $205. Similar to the GMAT, the GRE score validity is for five years.
- NMAT: The NMAT stands for the Narsee Monjee Management Aptitude Test. The NMAT is conducted by the GMAC and is a computer-administered exam. It is a national level exam for those who are keen on applying to business schools in India. Over 42 business schools in India accept the NMAT scores as a criterion to get admission into their institutions.
The NMAT syllabus consists of three sections — Language Skills, Quantitative Skills, and Logical Reasoning. Each of these sections are scored between 12 to 120. The total NMAT score is the aggregate of the three sections and it ranges from 36 to 360. You can register for the NMAT at register.nmat.org or mba.com/nmat and pay an exam fee of INR 2300 inclusive of taxes.
- CAT: The Common Admission Test (CAT) is conducted by the Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) for admission into their business schools. However, prominent business schools in India also consider the CAT score as a prerequisite for seeking admission. The CAT consists of three questions — Quantitative Ability, Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning.
The CAT sections consist of both MCQs and non-MCQs questions. A correct answer in any of the CAT sections will fetch you three marks and a wrong answer will fetch you no marks. However, if the answer to an MCQ is wrong, you will be negatively marked for it. The total CAT score ranges between -100 to 300. The CAT score validity is only for a year. You can register for the CAT on the official website, iimcat.ac.in. As of the year 2021, the CAT exam fee has increased to INR 2,200 as opposed to the earlier exam fee of INR 2,000.
- XAT: The Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is organised by the Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur. The exam is open to Indian candidates as well as foreign candidates. However, foreign candidates must have a valid GMAT score to be eligible for the XAT. Although, candidates applying from UAE and Nepal are exempted from this provision and can directly apply for the XAT.
The exam consists of three sections— Decision Making, General Knowledge, Verbal and Logical Ability, and Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation. The exam comprises 100 questions and with each correct answer, you receive one mark. However, there is a
– 0.25 negative marking for incorrect answers. The total XAT score is 100. Besides, the XAT score is only valid for a year. You can register for the XAT on the official website, xatonline.in and pay an exam fee of INR 1,800.
- SNAP: The Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP) is a national, computer-based entrance exam conducted by the Symbiosis International University(SIU) for those seeking admission into their MBA program. A good SNAP score will guarantee you an admission into institutes affiliated with the SIU.
The exam consists of General English, Quantitative, Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency, Analytical and Logical Reasoning sections. The SNAP consists of 60 questions and each correct answer receives a single mark. However, an incorrect answer will fetch you a negative marking of – 0.25. The total SNAP score is 60. Moreover, the SNAP score is valid only for a year. You can register on their official website, snapexam.org. As of 2021, the exam fee has increased from INR 1,750 to INR 1,950.
So, if you want to pursue an MBA degree here are top six MBA entrance exams options. We hope to have given you a brief idea of each of these exams, we hope you make the right choice. All the best!