Things in life don’t always go according to plan. Despite mature processes and strict guidelines for conduct, it is possible that your GMAT may get disrupted or adversely affected by circumstances or people beyond your control. This could be anything from a power cut to a loose cable on your computer to a fellow test-taker who causes a disruption. The important thing is to keep a cool head under such circumstances and not put yourself in a position where you are the one who has to explain things to the test administrator and/or GMAC/Pearson VUE.
We emphasise discretion on your part – choose when and how to complain carefully, keeping in mind that you can neither make false accusations nor afford to get caught up in a situation where you lose time that you could otherwise use in the test. Nor should you end up in a mental state that prevents you from doing your best on the GMAT. But, what do you do if your GMAT experience is disagreeable?
What You Should Do In Case of an Unpleasant GMAT Experience
In case you feel that you have fair cause for complaint, you can reach out to the GMAT Customer Service team immediately after you finish your test.
Your letter must be titled “Attention: GMAT Complaints”. You can fax or email this. Other contact details:
Phone/Fax: Contact GMAT Customer Service (and address your fax to “Attention: Test Security”)
Mail: Address your letter to “Attention: Test Security” and mail to:
5601 Green Valley Drive
Bloomington, MN 55437
Despite the strict conduct of the GMAT exam, it is still possible that some test-takers might disregard the rules and risk things in an attempt to gain an advantage. In such an event, you must approach the test administrator or Pearson VUE. Possible violations include, but are not limited to,
- Malpractice in the form of assistance or copying/ impersonation
- Questions being leaked before or after the exam
- The use of notes or aids not approved by GMAC
- Any attempt to copy or capture test questions
The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) reserves the right to contact business schools and take other appropriate actions concerning the individuals who violate any GMAT testing terms and conditions. The names and details of those reporting these violations will be kept confidential.
With the new online GMAT option, there is more room for such negative experiences to occur and one must remain vigilant while attempting the exam. Some of the important points which must be addressed on your checklist are given below :
- Check if the internet connection is stable and that there are no disconnections or disruptions in the internet service. This could lead to a loss of valuable time during the exam.
- Ensure that while you are attempting the exam no one has access to your room and you are not disturbed during the duration of your exam.
- Do a check of your speaker, microphone, and browser settings so that there is no malfunction of any equipment when you are taking the GMAT.
- Make sure that there are no study materials or anything related to the preparation material of the GMAT in your room or study table. GMAC has enforced stringent measures and will not tolerate any form of malpractice or cheating.
- Unlike the GMAT exam taken in centres, you will not be allowed to use a notepad to make notes or solve mathematical problems, you will need to make use of an online whiteboard for the same. It is suggested that you practice using the whiteboard so that you are familiar with the process.
- Since there will be an online proctor monitoring the exam, always keep him/her updated about any difficulties you face while attempting the exam. If you need to take a break make sure the proctor is informed and don’t leave the room since that is not allowed.
Make sure you keep the above-mentioned points in mind so that you don’t end up having a disagreeable GMAT experience at home.
Despite all of the above precautionary measures, it is always possible to overlook something simple and still face some struggle during exam day. Hence, be prepared and stay calm during the entire period of your GMAT exam. We are certain that you will have a good experience attempting the GMAT.