Kyoto University — a public university — was founded in the year 1897 and is Japan’s second oldest university. It has over 18 graduate schools that offer several master’s, doctoral and professional degree programs. If you plan to pursue your higher education from here, then you should be well-informed about the courses, the admission process, application procedure, etc. Through the course of this article, we will provide you with all of this information, so let’s take you through.
A few of the Kyoto University courses which are taught in English are listed below :
- Institute of Liberal Arts and Science – Humanities and Social Science, Natural Sciences, Languages, Informatics, Health and Sports, Interdisciplinary Sciences, Interdisciplinary Graduate Courses.
- Graduate School of Economics – Political Economy, Accounting, Microeconomics, Strategic Management, etc.
- Graduate School of Biostudies and Medicine – Global Frontier in Life Science.
- Graduate School of Management – MBA.
Eligibility Criteria for Graduate School Admission
The application process and eligibility criteria varies for each program, hence, do check the university website before you send in your application. Some of the general requirements for admission and application process are as follows.
- You must have graduated from a university at the time of application or should have graduated before the programme commencement date.
- You should be over the age of 22 when enrolling for the programme.
- You must log onto the official website for the application form.
- You will need to submit your IELTS/TOEFL scores at the time of admissions as a proof of your language proficiency.
- You will be required to submit a reason for application and your plan on completing the degree.
- You must upload your research proposal (if you plan to pursue a research degree) in PDF format on the application portal.
- You will have to submit your academic transcripts from your undergraduate study and also submit your certificate of Graduation.
- You should provide a letter of recommendation from your current or previous supervisor.
- You will need to give a valid copy of your passport along with proof of payment of the examination fee.
Fees and Funding
As already mentioned above, the fee structure is different for each course.. The tuition fee for Graduate students per year is 535,800 Yen — just a general range of the fee structure — and there are other costs involved as well such as admission fee and entrance examination fee. Besides, you also have the option to apply for scholarships — Kyoto University Scholarship, Honours Scholarship, etc., to help you pay the tuition fee for your course.
Careers and Placement Opportunities
Kyoto University has a dedicated off campus career support office to help students find relevant job opportunities. There are employment service centres for foreigners as well.
This is some basic information about Kyoto University that we hope was helpful to you.