What do they tell you?
Look at any B-School brochure for its flagship MBA program.
There are many top reasons they tell you that you MUST do an MBA – for career growth, for changing careers, to earn more, to build a stronger professional network, etc.
Why people might do an MBA?
Then you can delve a bit deeper and you will find there are other reasons why people might want to do an MBA. To get out of the rut. To pivot. To build a brand. To reset, refocus and keep growing. To create impact. For becoming a Leader. To get the right toolkit for navigating the business world. For a second inning. For a better life overall. To earn more (yes, it is repeated).
Why do you actually want to do it?
Well, let’s dig deeper, and then you can get to the real reasons why many consider an MBA. Like the ones below.
- Are you staring at your workstation and feeling that you are just a mere spectator? If someone asks you to work on one more line of code, you may burst. If someone asks you to work on similar projects you have done before, you want to become a running partner for Usain Bolt.
- You are stuck in a rut and are sick of the same old faces at the office. This is not what you thought it would be. The next promotion is not happening anytime soon.
- You want to make more money. Yes, you said it.
- You know what you are doing is definitely NOT what you wish to do for the rest of your life. You know that you want to shift to another career path and are trying for a way out. The school friend who was at the bottom of the class has gotten ahead of you.
- You want to be a decision-maker and have a larger say in your organization. You long for more challenges.
- Your personal life is not where it should be. You need some time off from the rat race to refocus on yourself. Getting off the corporate treadmill to figure out options might be the best way. You need to find your calling.
- The network you have now is restricted to high school, college, and folks from our past two companies. Time for making new friends.
- You need a change. Surely there must be more to life?
No matter what your reasons are, one of the best ways to gain professional and personal growth might be to consider going to Business School! The MBA program is structured to help you with all this and more.
To find out if MBA is the right path for you, here are some resources –
- Check out the Academic Experience at Stanford MBA
- Is an MBA Worth it? Michigan Ross Admissions Blog
- And one of my favourite B-Schools- ISB Advantage